Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Union of Democratic Control

Reply to topic   Post new topic
JohnLinds  

Interests: landscape, politics, information systems,
Physical Location: Surbiton, London

Posted: 9 Feb 2006, 6:20 am    Post subject: Union of Democratic Control Reply with quote

Rather by accident, when following a line on the Cambridge Apostles, I found a reference to the Union of democratic control, an organisation in which many of them were active.

This body was opposed to the WW1, and then to conscription. Many of its members became conscienttious objectors, and according to some sources now gathered, many of them were gay (if we might be permitted an ahistorical lapse for shorthand). Collecting evidence would clearly be quite hard work, but here in Britain it is lgbt history month, so why not?

Many (I'm by now not sure how many many is) became members of the Bloomsbury Group, many of whom in turn were conscientious objectors.

The Bloomsbury Group is I think usually aesthetised and turned into a rathr butterfly beautyiful people thing with painted farmhouses, rather than involving some rather brave and committed people, which I would regard as a pretty good case for the way knowledge is constructed to represent particular ideologies and spray out the unfashionable?
JohnLinds  

Interests: landscape, politics, information systems,
Physical Location: Surbiton, London

Posted: 17 Feb 2006, 8:34 am    Post subject: UDC Reply with quote

This message, ie the one I am adding to, appears in the top ten hits on google today, thus indicating something, though I don't yet know what.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.