Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Wicca and Neopaganism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic   Post new topic
lexii  

Interests: I'm a big reader and i absolutely LOVE writing poems and short stories. I also love to swim and, sadly, I am a video game addict!
Physical Location: Florida

Posted: 3 Apr 2006, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Wicca and Neopaganism Reply with quote

I'm a bisexual wiccan and i was wondering how many other glbtq Wiccans are out there!! Please reply, even if your not wiccan, just to hear your thoughts on this.
Archangel  

Posted: 4 Apr 2006, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wicca and Neopaganism Reply with quote

lexii wrote:
I'm a bisexual wiccan and i was wondering how many other glbtq Wiccans are out there!! Please reply, even if your not wiccan, just to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm pagan, or more accurately ecclectic, and I started out as wiccan so I know how you feel. I'm bi and trans so try explaining that to the Catholic church too. But oh lord I 'm glad I wasn't baptized or I really would be going to hell.
lexii  

Interests: I'm a big reader and i absolutely LOVE writing poems and short stories. I also love to swim and, sadly, I am a video game addict!
Physical Location: Florida

Posted: 9 Apr 2006, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hysterical! I tried explaining to my very catholic family why I was revoking my baptism and why I was dating girls....

didnt go over so well

heehee
Archangel  

Posted: 10 Apr 2006, 9:56 am    Post subject: blurbs Reply with quote

lexii wrote:
That's hysterical! I tried explaining to my very catholic family why I was revoking my baptism and why I was dating girls....

didnt go over so well

heehee

I know how you feel, trust me on that. But I think that being Wiccan, while it may have some parallels to having a very open mind, is not solely based on their sexual flexibility (oh shoot mind in the gutter on that one).

Aside from that I'd love to swap some interesting supernatural stories with you if you want. Maybe ritual tips to considering I've been around the suprenatural block a few times. Funny stories here as well. PM or post, hope to ttyl.
shiukopup  

Interests: asian culture/gender studies, ladies' comics and boys love manga genres, takarazuka, hindi film, vegetable gardening
Physical Location: australia

Posted: 25 May 2006, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: blurbs Reply with quote

What sort of supernatural experiences? I'm not wiccan or pagan so perhaps you can't tell me? I'm curious though, because my only knowledge is scant and is about the 3 religions of people of the book: islam, christianity, judaism.

did wiccan and pagan philosophies originate in europe?
Archangel  

Posted: 26 May 2006, 8:49 am    Post subject: The History of Paganism, as far as I know Reply with quote

One of the oldest forms of paganism is shamanism which originated in different forms around the globe. The most common form of paganism though we might not see it as such was the Greek reverence of the Olympian Gods. Technically the word Pagan in latin means peasant or farmer so really calling someone a pagan should have no negative conotations. Unfortunately not many people see it that way.

In some senses paganism is much older than christianity and probably the first slightly organized religion to be recognized in the world. The Druids and Celts practiced forms of paganism and so did the Egyptians. Most Pagans are polytheistic though there are some sects of Shamanism I think that don't believe in any given diety.

This is as far as I can type without drawing more attention to me from parental units so I'll try to continue this discussion later.
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 26 May 2006, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm a lesbian pagan. I am actually both baptized and confirmed, but I not a member of the church anymore. I used to be a christian, but at some point I realized that Christianity was not the right religion for me. I don't think it is because of the Bible's view on homosexuality, it has more to do with the Bible's view on women.
shiukopup  

Interests: asian culture/gender studies, ladies' comics and boys love manga genres, takarazuka, hindi film, vegetable gardening
Physical Location: australia

Posted: 26 May 2006, 6:20 pm    Post subject: sounds interesting! Reply with quote

What are modern pagan practices like? is there a canonical text or is it passed down orally or is it up to the individual? Is paganism matriarchal?
Archangel  

Posted: 29 May 2006, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Modern Pagans Reply with quote

Paganism is often left up to the individual as to what exactly the practice entails. (we dont sacrifice small children and animals though). I believe a lot of Wiccans are somewhat Matriarchal in believing in a goddess however most of the time it is split between a goddess and a god.

There is no set canonical text because originally many traditions were either passed down orally, as with the druids, or some ancient texts were lost or previously destroyed, as with the egyptians aztecs and other highly advanced societies. But as with almost all pagan religions the original roots are in fact usually very old and that aura of mystery is often what may keep practitioners coming.

Some pagans do of course have a belief in magic, either theirs or the worlds own personal force. But either way it is something that can be used and is in no way shape or form evil. And Whether it is truly unexplainable or not we have yet to find out seeing as most of the acts are mind related. But I'll be the first to openly its verity.
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 31 May 2006, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Pagans Reply with quote

Archangel wrote:
Paganism is often left up to the individual as to what exactly the practice entails. (we dont sacrifice small children and animals though). I believe a lot of Wiccans are somewhat Matriarchal in believing in a goddess however most of the time it is split between a goddess and a god.

There is no set canonical text because originally many traditions were either passed down orally, as with the druids, or some ancient texts were lost or previously destroyed, as with the egyptians aztecs and other highly advanced societies. But as with almost all pagan religions the original roots are in fact usually very old and that aura of mystery is often what may keep practitioners coming.

Some pagans do of course have a belief in magic, either theirs or the worlds own personal force. But either way it is something that can be used and is in no way shape or form evil. And Whether it is truly unexplainable or not we have yet to find out seeing as most of the acts are mind related. But I'll be the first to openly its verity.

Thank you very much for writing this. It is exactly how I feel I just couldn't find a way to explain it.
Archangel  

Posted: 31 May 2006, 10:32 am    Post subject: To Paloma Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Archangel  

Posted: 31 May 2006, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: sounds interesting! Reply with quote

shiukopup wrote:
What are modern pagan practices like?

I'll answer this because I don't think I have already. I honestly can only admit to know what I read and what a few people and myself have done so if I make generalizations please nobody come after me for it.

There are rituals, nothing gets sacrificed however, and they are often connected with solving everyday problems and not world issues. I did one to stop my dad from drinking and well it kinda, back fired in my opinion (he ended up spending the night in jail) but it DID give him a wake up call so in a sense it worked. Magic, chi, chakra, or whatever you want to call it often works in the simplest and most straight forward way, we just don't see it as working like that. Perhaps this is just me but when you're reading a booka you've never read and you already know what's going to happen but it still surprises you that's similar to magick. It anwsers problems we already know how to solve but sometimes don't think of solving them quite like that. At least not until later.

There's also (at least for Wiccans) the rule of three which states that anything you do will come back to you threefold. In other words if you try to hex someone (not that any good wiccan would) and it works you're gonna be in for it three times as much. Same goes for if you do something good however. I've had the short and long end of both of those sticks.

Also as a side note not all pagans use rituals and spells and call them as such. honestly I don't always identify as pagan and I have a rather 'altered' veiw of the universe. that AND I'm a physics nut so I can make almost any irrational eplanation seem plausible.

Spells and rituals are for anything from healing to love to money and anything inbetween. Solving problems with bullies both adult and child are there and while this doesn't go for all most pagans I have met are some of the most tolerant people I've ever known. They accept sexual orientation as easily as other religions. Also there is such a thing as a Christain Pagan although sometimes they go by the term psychic but not always. They believe in God as much as the next person but they also believe in there own unexplainable ability to do extrodinary things, metaphysical and tangible yet incorpereal.

I'll stop now since many probably are have an interesting time digesting my OTHER "articles". I apologize for their lengthy wording and I'll try to not ramble in the future. ^_^
yewtree  

Physical Location: Bristol, UK

Posted: 12 Apr 2007, 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In answer to the original question, I'm a bisexual Wiccan. I personally feel that Wicca is welcoming to GLBTQ people (especially polytheist Wicca).

Here's some articles:

http://pagantheologies.pbwiki.com/Gender
http://pagantheologies.pbwiki.com/Sexuality
http://stroppyrabbit.blogspot.com
http://vogelbeere.livejournal.com
http://pagantheologies.pbwiki.com
Faolan  

Physical Location: Pennsylvania USA

Posted: 1 May 2007, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wicca and Neopaganism Reply with quote

lexii wrote:

Me!!
I was starting to think I was the only one!
I'm rather a newbie wiccan... but my family supports it, thank goodness
mairemhor  

Interests: -music -dance -photography -ceramics -religion -history -philosophy -alternative medicine -girls <3
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 1 Oct 2007, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lesbian pagan!

yay!!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.