Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Christianity

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 16 Apr 2006, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Christianity Reply with quote

My question is: What is your understanding of Christianity?

Gennee
Archangel  

Posted: 25 May 2006, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is directed at everyone out there and so I feel obliged to anwser. My family is not neccesarily Christain since we do not attend church but my mother is a baptized protestant and My father is Greek Orthodox. That's probably why we never go to church. Anyway my understanding of Christainity comesmainly from the bible (which I have read) and from the people I know to be openly christain. I've met everything from preachers to very acceptingindividuals but the overriding theme is always God. So my understanding of that religion would definately be through God.
oneofmany  

Physical Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted: 15 Sep 2010, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity Reply with quote

gennee wrote:
My question is: What is your understanding of Christianity?

Gennee

You ask four questions here Gennee.
1. My understanding of
2. Christianity the religion
3. Christ the being
4. Christians the followers of Christ, hence Christianity.

Didn't know you were so astute did ya? Ok, first of all like any human being our "understanding" of anything religious is always imperfect and open to interpretation and social and cultural conditioning. Therefore, our knowledge, hence understanding is never perfect and always arguable. Mine certainly is no different.

Christianity, as a religion, is group of people paying repect and worship to that one we call Christ. We believe that he is the one true Son of God, therefore the Word of God, and therefore Absolute Truth as we would describe it. No two congregations are exactly the same in their faith just as few people agree on everything. There is of course the Holy Catholic Church; broken into parts among them are Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and the Protestant churches. The religion is varied and has many varieties to choose from.

The Christ I know is all of the above and more. He is the Godly personification of true love, if we were but smart enough to see it.

Christians? Oh mercy! For all our rhetoric and judgmental behavior, we are no more than average folk for the most part struggling to make sense of of it all. Just like you and many others. I notice that most of these posts are old, so you may never even read this, but rest easy. When we all realize what Ghandi did in the following quote, we will all be better off:

" I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." I think that pretty well sums it up. Hope I have given you something to think about. Have a great life.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.