Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Transphobia vs. differing views

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 17 May 2006, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Transphobia vs. differing views Reply with quote

Phobias are nothing new to America and the trangender community is no exception. As transgnders are becoming more vocal, the irrational fears people have about us is sad and misconscrued.

While there are those who hate us, there are those who just disagree with our stances. It doesn't mean that these people are transphobic. We all disagree at one time or another, but can we agree to disagree? There is a fine line, but I think I know the difference.

We scream about being labeled and misunderstood but, say to say, that we do our share of labeling too. There are many people who do not understand what transgender and transsexual is. Education is needed in society about trans issues. More of us need to get out and talk with the greater society about what we are about. Organizations like PFLAG have done some wonderful work because it involves the parents of GLBTQ youth and adults. Some day, I would love to stand in front of a group of people and talk with them about crossdressing and why I do it.

Transphobia will decrease when people will put themselves out on a limb to find out what a group that is different from them are about. I have been transgendered for only a year, but I had to find what transgender is all about. It was totally different from what I had known. Now, I count transsexuals, crossdressers and tranvestites as some of my best friends. We have differences of opinions about what the community needs but we are certainly not transphobic.

In conclusion, let's not be quick to label some one transphobic because they don't think or act like we do. Perhaps, they don't know. If someone doesn't want to know, move on. There are many non trans folks who support us. Don't let the 'transphobic mantra drive them away. We need all the help we can get.

Gennee

Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.