Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: islam & glbtq's

Reply to topic   Post new topic
shiukopup  

Interests: asian culture/gender studies, ladies' comics and boys love manga genres, takarazuka, hindi film, vegetable gardening
Physical Location: australia

Posted: 25 May 2006, 7:22 pm    Post subject: islam & glbtq's Reply with quote

Hi all, I was wondering if any muslim glbtq's wanted to discuss their experiences and approaches. I don't interpret the qur'an literally, i don't see it as homophobic and i like amina wadud's approach.

recently i got stuck on a queer muslims mailing list that was anti-academic. i'm not so much interested in partying together and forming posses of glbtq muslims as much as understanding each others' philosophies and spiritual lives.

any of you out there?
BGG  

Posted: 21 Aug 2006, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely here..its just so much harder because with Islam there is no wiggle room in the acual community. I'm not a strict follower, but I'm definitely not christian, I dont agree. But I'm dating a christian girl (me being a girl myself) AND she's white and I'm black. Its just crazy complicated.
groovejet  

Interests: al jazeera english, archives, catherine deneuve, cats, documentaries, essays, extra portions, feminism, films, journalism, plus-sized women, politics, sexuality, window seats, women, writing
Physical Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: islam & glbtq's Reply with quote

shiukopup wrote:
Hi all, I was wondering if any muslim glbtq's wanted to discuss their experiences and approaches. I don't interpret the qur'an literally, i don't see it as homophobic and i like amina wadud's approach.

recently i got stuck on a queer muslims mailing list that was anti-academic. i'm not so much interested in partying together and forming posses of glbtq muslims as much as understanding each others' philosophies and spiritual lives.

any of you out there?

Hi,
I'm a 20 year old lesbian who was raised a Muslim. In Malaysia, Islam plays an integral role, to the extent that we have 2 legal systems; the main one derived from British law and the other is the Syariah system which deals with issues such as death, divorce and inheritance for Muslims. Also, Islam is a big force in shaping and controlling of the identity of the Malays (the majority ethnic group in Malaysia, almost all of whom are Muslims). Hence, with Islam being such a pervasive force in my country, it is hard for me to come out - only a handful people know of my sexuality. I have done a fair share of investigating Islam's attitude towards homosexuality, and the answer is negative. Islam does not accept homosexuality, even though its been pointed out that I might get leeway because the Qur'an does not mention anything about love between two women. Evident of Islam being against homosexuality is the story of Prophet Lut whose largely homosexual tribe was punished by God because they refused to 'repent'. Also, Islam is based on strict gender roles - men the breadwinner, the women homemaker. Heterosexuality is the big pillar holding up this system (of sexual division of labor).

Because of Islam's homophobia, its limiting outlook on gender which has the most effect on the status of women (I'm a staunch feminist), and also due to my inability/unwillingness to subscribe to superstitious beliefs, I am no longer a Muslim. I'm agnostic; a secular humanist. However, from the outset, I still find it hard to shake off my Muslim identity. The biggest lie I put up is by still wearing a scarf. I plan to move abroad so I shall exercise my liberties.

You say you don't see Islam as homophobic and that you subscribe to Amina Wadud's interpretations - could you elaborate with more details, please? I'm interested to know. And oh, may I point out that Amina Wadud is not popular among most Muslims; she is considered subversive and deviant. I'm only pointing this out to highlight the fact that only the progressive few appreciate her.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.