Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Just found this site

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Decker  

Interests: Early 30's doctoral student and writer. I am interested in Twentieth Century Gay American Male Literature. See my website for my interest in writing.
Physical Location: New England

Posted: 17 Apr 2003, 5:21 am    Post subject: Just found this site Reply with quote

I have had the hard copy on my shelf for years, but I am psyched to have found this site. I will be sure to pass word of it around, and I encourage others to do the same.
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 17 Apr 2003, 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

Decker wrote:
I have had the hard copy on my shelf for years...

Hard copy? *as his librarian's ears perk up* hard copy?

Was there actually a published book before this Web site?

I was under the impression that this Web site was a new from-scratch creation (although of course, most of the content is based on previously published books and journal articles).

If you are talking about the excellent Aldrich/Wotherspoon books, Who's Who in Gay & Lesbian History, and Who's Who in Contemporary Gay & Lesbian History (both published by Routledge in 2001), I think that they were a separate project (but hey, I could be wrong). Or maybe you're thinking of something else, Decker?

--Ryan.
mocca  

Interests: Reading, Working with children, Meeting new people, Going out with friends
Physical Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Posted: 27 Apr 2003, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

have to agree with you on this. Being a library man myself, have not heard of a hard copy but I guess being on the bum end of the world we tend to be a little late catching on to things. My boss actually just forwarded this address and am realy enjoying it. Am actually waiting to see if work will get of their butts and order "who's who in contemporary gay and lesbian history" fingers crossed that they will get it. If they dont I may end up having to buy it myself (horror of horrors).
Cheers
Ryan wrote:
Decker wrote:
I have had the hard copy on my shelf for years...

Hard copy? *as his librarian's ears perk up* hard copy?

I was under the impression that this Web site was a new from-scratch creation (although of course, most of the content is based on previously published books and journal articles).

If you are talking about the excellent Aldrich/Wotherspoon books, Who's Who in Gay & Lesbian History, and Who's Who in Contemporary Gay & Lesbian History (both published by Routledge in 2001), I think that they were a separate project (but hey, I could be wrong). Or maybe you're thinking of something else, Decker?

--Ryan.
Decker  

Interests: Early 30's doctoral student and writer. I am interested in Twentieth Century Gay American Male Literature. See my website for my interest in writing.

Posted: 29 Apr 2003, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

Hello, sorry, it took me so long to respond. Yes, there is a hard copy and a soft copy as well. Summers, Claude. ed. "The Gay and Lesbian Literary Heritage: A Reader's Companion to the Writers and their Works, from Antiquity to the Present." New York: Henry Holt, 1995.

This site is an updating and posting of most of this material I believe.
Decker  

Posted: 29 Apr 2003, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

Hello, sorry, it took me so long to respond. Yes, there is a hard copy and a soft copy as well. Summers, Claude. ed. "The Gay and Lesbian Literary Heritage: A Reader's Companion to the Writers and their Works, from Antiquity to the Present." New York: Henry Holt, 1995.

wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 29 Apr 2003, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

Decker wrote:

Hi Decker and Ryan,

Claude Summers' Gay and Lesbian Heritage is the foundation of the Literature section of glbtq. Many of the entries have been updated, and many others have been (and continue to be) added. BTW, The Gay and Lesbian Literary Heritage is available in a revised edition from Routledge (2002).

Since books don't work very well on the Web, Claude Summers and Copy Editor Ted-Larry Pebworth re-edited the Heritage to fit the new medium. The Web allows us to continually update and expand the literature department, so the Routledge edition of the Heritage is not quite as big or edited in exactly the same way as glbtq.com's literature department.

glbtq's Arts department is entirely new, and we expect to publish at least part of it as a book.

I hope this helps.

Wik
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 30 Apr 2003, 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this site Reply with quote

Wik wrote:

Hi Decker and Ryan,

Claude Summers' Gay and Lesbian Heritage is the foundation of the Literature section of glbtq. Many of the entries have been updated, and many others have been (and continue to be) added. BTW, The Gay and Lesbian Literary Heritage is available in a revised edition from Routledge (2002).

Since books don't work very well on the Web, Claude Summers and Copy Editor Ted-Larry Pebworth re-edited the Heritage to fit the new medium. The Web allows us to continually update and expand the literature department, so the Routledge edition of the Heritage is not quite as big or edited in exactly the same way as glbtq.com's literature department.

glbtq's Arts department is entirely new, and we expect to publish at least part of it as a book.

I hope this helps.

Wik

Yes it does help. Thanks, Wik.

I think this online encyclopedia, plus the associated discussion forums, is an excellent idea. Wik, thank you so much for being one of the key instigators behind this project. You and your colleagues are to be commended for all your hard work in getting (and keeping) this site up and running.

I have a suggestion: how about a store with logo'ed merchandise for glbtq.com groupies :-) ? It's real easy to do, see: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/ (CaféPress.com) for details on how their Web-based operation works.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.