Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic   Post new topic
seekay  

Physical Location: Austin, TX

Posted: 19 Jul 2007, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first one I remember seeing was heavenly creatures. one of the few peter jackson films worth seeing
"J"  

Interests: poetry, writing, music, work, philosophy, kids, art, playing the flute and fife.
Physical Location: Connecticut

Posted: 21 Jul 2007, 6:12 pm    Post subject: the first gay film i ever saw! Reply with quote

i think the first gay film i ever saw was "Philadelphia". i was about 10 or 11 years old and my mother, sister and i saw it together on t.v. it made me sad and even still to this day every time i see it i cry. i recently bought the 10th aniversery addition with amazing special features. Once i moved out of my mothers house and into my father i was opened up to more gay films such as "Gods and Monsters with the noted and amazing Ian Mckellen, "Lilies", "the Childrens Hour", "Broke Back Mountain", "Long Time Companion", "And the Band Played On" (also with Ian Mckellen), "Latter Days", "Saint of 9/11", "jeffery", "Boys Don't Cry", "Trick", "Bent", "Rocky Horror Picture Show", Priscilla Queen of the Desert", "Salmonberries" with K.d. Lang, "The Sissy Duckling", "torch Song Trilogy", "The Truth About Jane", and i don't know if "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar" would count. It has Patrick Swaszy in it. He actually makes a fairly good looking woman if you ask me. "What makes a Family with Whoopi Goldberg in it and i think it is also Brook Shields, that was also very good. "The Birdcage", "Flawless", "Total Eclipse", "Victor/Victoria", and "Wilde" with Stephen Fry whom i also love as a gay actor. Most recently "Far from Heaven". All of them very good and i highly recomend them. These are what i've seen within the last 5 years thanks to my father and his husband of 15 years. Yes my father is gay.
froster  

Posted: 14 Jan 2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Maedchen in Uniform? Reply with quote

Not only did you get it wrong, you misspelled it. The Children's Hour had nothing to do with this excellent German film about budding Lesbianism in a girls boarding school, and a young girl's passionate crush on her teacher. The Children's Hour is, of course, based upon Lilian Hellman's American play of the same name.

Gibeon wrote:
Lydia, I really like your signature line (25 years etc.)

It was only as an adult that I saw "The Children's Hour" and I first saw glimpses of it in Vito Russo's film that looked at the history of gays and lesbians in film. That movie certainly showed the niches that gays and lesbians occupied.

Have you seen the German movie that "The Children's Hour" was based on? "Maechen in Uniform" is its name, made about 1932 just before the Nazis came to power in Germany. It too was riveting.

I also remember a movie from the late 1960s or early 1970s, which in retrospect, was very daring to be shown. I think it's name was "Chastity" and it starred Cher as a cynical young hippy who, during her various adventures, becomes involved with an older lesbian.
Mon1018  

Posted: 7 Mar 2008, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is William Hurt ....Did anyone had been seen it??

Last edited by Mon1018 on 13 Mar 2008, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boggie  

Interests: Writing, reading, history, travel, film. biking, art study and collecting. I am researching a book on The Unsolved Murder/Suicide at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. My partner and live in a old house near the sea with Phoebe our Cat and Lulu our Dog.
Physical Location: Coast of California.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw? Reply with quote

Gibeon wrote:
What was the very first gay/lesbian TV show or film that you can remember seeing gay or lesbian characters protrayed? Hopefully it wasn't one of those terrible Jerry Springer type talk shows.

Mine was "That Certain Summer" on television. It starred Hal Halbrooke who was a divorced father dealing with coming out. His boyfriend was a young Martin Sheen. Halbrooke's son, whose name I do not recall, had trouble with his father's gayness.

Of course, no overt affection between the two men was shown. I would like to see this movie again but apparently it is not available on video.

I also remember "Consenting Adult" on television starring Marlo Thomas as the mother of a gay son who initially attempts to become straight, then likes himself as he is. Curiously enough, Martin Sheen was in this movie too, as the unaccepting father.

My earliest recollection of a lesbian character was on a CBS television series, "Medical Center" starring Chad Everett. A young woman was fearful that she was a lesbian but a somewhat-closeted lesbian doctor assured her that she probably was not.

Chad Everett's character had a love interest in this lesbian doctor and got to show his hurt feelings when he realized that she could not return his love heterosexually.

This series also had a gay male doctor in another episode who was the only doctor who could perform a certain type of surgery. Chad Everett's boss didn't want to use this doctor because his daughter had been married to a homosexual (the term they used instead of gay) who had left her for another man so he was very bitter.

These shows were very advanced for their time, in retrospect, and very sympathetic towards the gay and lesbian characters. What are your earliest shows where you saw gay characters protrayed for the first time?

"Longtime Companion" and it still stands up well showing the end of an era of free joyous love and sex with the sudden onslaught of HIV?AIDS. The early myths and fears were well portrayed as older friends have expressed. I saw it again about a year ago and it still touches me deeply.

Gatzo  

Interests: Films, television, reading, art, photography,knitting,history,dogs
Physical Location: England

Posted: 13 May 2008, 2:52 am    Post subject: the first lesbian/gay film i ever saw Reply with quote

I think it was The Fox, based on a DH Lawrence story, starring Ann Heywood, Sandy Dennis and Keir Dullea, way back in 1968. The Ann Heywood character, 'March' ends up with Keir Dullea, Sandy Dennis dies, at least lgbtq films now have a chance of ending happily.
yuricon  

Physical Location: Beautiful New Jersey

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw? Reply with quote

Gibeon wrote:
What was the very first gay/lesbian TV show or film that you can remember seeing gay or lesbian characters protrayed? Hopefully it wasn't one of those terrible Jerry Springer type talk shows.

My first really good impression of a lesbian couple was the Japanese animation Sailor Moon. It hooked me into anime pretty hard. :-)

I strongly suggest visiting Crunchyroll.com - this is a site that streams Japanese animation - legally and free. They have two terrific new anime, Aoi Hana, and Sasamekikoto, both of which are Japanese animated TV shows, and both of which deal with lesbian love and life in high school. Aoi Hana is a drama, Sasamekikoto is a comedy-drama and both are really very good. We fans call this genre, "Yuri" and Crunchyroll is very supportive of getting more good (and not so good) Yuri anime. Check it out!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sasamekikoto
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Aoihana

Erica

Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
http://okazu.blogspot.com
mofole  

Posted: 7 Nov 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine was Gia wth Angelina Jolie and Elizabeth Mitchell

Problem is when your first is that good, it's difficult to find others that reach the mark
Octo4poe  

Interests: Reading & writing, traveling, language, cooking, walking.
Physical Location: San Francisco, CA

Posted: 12 Feb 2010, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw? Reply with quote

Gibeon wrote:

Haha, not a Jerry Springer talk show for sure, but when I was very young, I definitely saw gay characters and images in films watched with my parents, but only know for what they were much later. So I just wonder what sort of formation in my own queerness did they inspire?

When I was young, I loved the movie "Big Business", featuring Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin. (Ha, two icons right there!) Anyway, this is a movie about how two sets of twins are switched at birth, one to a city couple and the other to a country couple. Hilarity ensues as the two sets meet in New York at The Plaza Hotel and discover that one in each pair belongs with the other sister. Everyone is juiced and happy at the end, a truly wonderful 80's comedy.

The city "twins" worked in a giant office building, with two men who were clearly portrayed as homosexuals, but totally unbeknown to me as a young viewer. I did not understand the significance of the character being asked, "Where did you get that kimono, Japan?", and he replies, "No, Fire Island!". I have no idea how many of these sorts of representations I saw as a young viewer but didn't realize what I was watching.

Octopoe
http://octopoe.wordpress.com/
e.tomas  

Interests: Literature & the arts
Physical Location: Carrboro, NC

Posted: 30 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first gay film I ever watched was "Mala Noche," written and directed by Gus Van Sant. Has anyone else seen it?
jmmartin  

Interests: Literature, theatre, ballet, opera, cookery, Mexico
Physical Location: Texas

Posted: 6 Aug 2013, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Was it Lee Kinsolving? Someone Else? Reply with quote

A huge fan of Lee Kinsolving sent me some videotapes of his appearances on TV (shows such as "Gunsmoke"), TV movies, and a theatrical release (or two), but none featuring this handsome young actor of the 60s in any kind of overtly -- or as overtly as possible given the homophobia of the time -- gay role. So, although I may have misremembered who was the star of the TV movie, I am 99% certain I saw it on TV in the 60s and that it was a made-for-TV movie, since so far as I know it was never released in theaters. As best as I can recall, the plot was somewhat along the lines of "Tea and Sympathy," but it was set in a Southern community with genteel manners and macho bullying. The closeted young man had a confidant in his family's "colored" domestic, a kind of nanny to him. When he was troubled, she would help him sort out his problems. When I heard the "help" give the young man advice on his being "different," I was utterly amazed: I had never seen anything like it on TV, and it helped me with my own "problem." But what the nanny him has stayed with me ever since: "Honey, there are four kinds of people in this world: those who like you for what you are, those who like you for what you're not, those that hate you for what you are not, and those that hate you for what you are. That last group is the only one you got to worry about." Can anyone tell me the title and/or star and/or year the film was made? Does anyone think I read this in some novel or merely dreamed it one night? Sign me "Perturbed."
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 19 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Transamerica Reply with quote

I'm transgender so the first transgender film I saw was 'Transamerica'. It was back in 2006 or 2007.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.