Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic   Post new topic
smy118  

Physical Location: Texas

Posted: 1 Oct 2004, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw some after-school special or other tv show that dealt with gay characters as a kid, but the first gay/lesbian film I vividly recall watching was Foxfire, starring the lovely Angelina Jolie, when I was a questioning and confused teenager of 16. Though the subject was only lightly touched on in the film, that probably wasn't why I enjoyed it so much... I had feelings I didn't fully understand at the time for the lead character (played by Jolie) - a rebellious, teenage, leather-clad hellcat affectionately nicknamed "Legs," who hitches a ride into an unknown town and befriends a group of girls. She develops a crush on one of them who is straight, and their lives are changed forever. In the "rooftop scene," the girl, Maddie, says to Legs, "If I told you I loved you, would you take it the wrong way?" Legs replies, "What do you mean by wrong?" That has always sort of stuck with me, because it just means that love is love, not wrong or right. But there can only be one favorite scene, and no, I don't mean the one where they all take their shirts off, although that's great too... it's the very first time we see Legs.. in an unknown school, standing in a random classroom doorway.. and the camera pans up from the floor. First, the black biker boots, black pants, black leather jacket.. and then we see her face.. the lips, the eyes.. and a look that says, "I'm not taking any sh*t off anyone." It's amazing that every time I watch it now, I get that same funny butterfly feeling that I did when I was 16.
frostyabc  

Interests: Drag, cabaret, early 20th century transgender lifestyle, gay community history in large cities.
Physical Location: New Mexico

Posted: 14 Oct 2004, 3:26 am    Post subject: Homicidal 1st TV Gay Movie or show Reply with quote

My first direct exposure to a gay film shown on TV was a great cult classic "Homicidal". It was way back in 1967. I was freshman in college; home from school on vacation. I was up late & bored.

This was before cable, remember; so when the late night movie came on & the local host described it as "shocking" & bizaree; of course I watched it. It was so bad, it was wonderful. Very much in sync w/Mommy Dearest & those campy gothics.

I didn't know much about drag/trans-genderism back then. I remember, my Sr. yr in H.S. the Ray Bourban Revue ran an ad in our local paper advertising their show at a notorious dive. I remember, laughingly asking my Dad to take me to see it. He roared with laughter, he could not believe his daughter would ask such a request! He told me I'd catch symphalis from the toilet -- and furthermore there would be no "women's room" for me! He assured me Bourban[s girls were not real tranies. He also warned me about Mafia violence at that night spot, in case I decided to go w/friends. (a few weeks after Bourban's Jewl Box Revue left; the bar's owner was gunned down).

Well, scuse me for transgressing; but Homicidal was the next best thing to seeing the Ray Bourban Show! I can still see the terrible make-up and cheap production. Yet, it somehow worked. I was hooked on drag & transgender since.
SarahRose  

Posted: 17 Oct 2004, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I remember "Ellen" when I was around 10. I loved that show but my parents never allowed it on after she came out.

My first "gay movie" was "Heavenly Creatures" (1994) but I don't consider that a truly gay movie.

I have actually seen few lesbian movies. My most recent one was the comedy "Kissing Jessica Stein." As of right now, I can't manage to sneak many into the house, so hopefully I'll have better luck next year in college.

- Sarah
Thomas J.  

Interests: Movies, Music, Books, Television
Physical Location: Decatur, Illinois USA

Posted: 2 Jan 2006, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Believe It or Not. . . Reply with quote

I was thirteen when THAT CERTAIN SUMMER came on ABC, and I saw that and the film
THE BOYS IN THE BAND within a week of each other (BAND was on the local Late Show on Saturday night!).

I had a HUGE crush on David Cassidy at the time, and with the viewing of these films I realized there were others just like me. . .I wasn't alone in the world.

What a relief!!!
ktwdallas  

Posted: 8 Feb 2006, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What Was The First Gay/Lesbian TV or Film You Saw? Reply with quote

Gibeon wrote:
What was the very first gay/lesbian TV show or film that you can remember seeing gay or lesbian characters protrayed? Hopefully it wasn't one of those terrible Jerry Springer type talk shows.

I was about 11 or so, I think.. and it was Deathtrap with Christopher Reeve and Michael Caine. I was completely shocked at the kiss.
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 9 Feb 2006, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first gay film I saw must have been Show me love. It is swedish and original called Fucking Åmål, which is a much better title. It is about a teenage girl who falls in love with the most popular girl in the school, not very original, but it seems that way because it isn't Hollywood. I could really relate to that film, probably because I come from Denmark, so the community portrayed looked more like mine, than the once portrayed in American movies. Since then I have seen a lot of gay and lesbian movies, but that is still one of my favorites. I also think Brokeback Mountain is very good. And I think me favorite must be the English Get Real.
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 9 Feb 2006, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first gay film I saw must have been Show me love. It is swedish and original called Fucking Åmål, which is a much better title. It is about a teenage girl who falls in love with the most popular girl in the school, not very original, but it seems that way because it isn't Hollywood. I could really relate to that film, probably because I come from Denmark, so the community portrayed looked more like mine, than the once portrayed in American movies. Since then I have seen a lot of gay and lesbian movies, but that is still one of my favorites. I also think Brokeback Mountain is very good. And I think me favorite must be the English Get Real.
Olympia  

Posted: 14 Feb 2006, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say "The Women of Brewster Place". That sticks out in my mind. I saw that in the eighties sometime..probably when I was around 10 yrs old. The lesbian couple in the movie always stuck out in my mind. None of the other characters left such a big impression. Those characters were peculiar to me and piqued my curiosity. I was definitely drawn to them, but (back then) didn't know why. My sexuality wasn't an issue back then. I was taught that heterosexuality was normal and *right* and homosexuals were evil, perverted deviants. And usually not black. I accpeted that growing up. Thinking back....I don't doubt that seeing that movie make me think about what my parents were telling me and maybe believe it wasn't exactly true. No doubt the film struck me so hard because I saw myself reflected in those two women.
Sefronia7  

Interests: Everything and nothing

Posted: 4 Jun 2006, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, these are some serious posts........I guess I knew something was "different" as a kid about Paul Lynde on "Bewitched" and then I saw Rip Taylor on some show. I asked my mother about both men and she said "They're in their FORTIES! They HAVE to be married." Ah, dear ol' mom......LOL

Anyhoo, seeing Greta Garbo in "Camille" on the 4 o' clock movie when I was a youngster gave me shivers down my spine........ah, Greta..........

xxoo
Sefronia

www.sefronia777.com
Chochi  

Interests: sports,school,and my girlfriend
Physical Location: oakhurst

Posted: 22 Jul 2006, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhmmmm it would have to be The Truth About Jane.it was an awesome movie.
alec_3747  

Interests: I take interest in gayfilms . paintings, books and musics. I am looking for true friendship and gaymen with good taste !
Physical Location: india

Posted: 25 Jan 2007, 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first gay film i saw was maurice. The dvd was handed over by my spouse and he asked me to read the novel and then to see the fim.The fim was a master piece! Rupert and james wilby along with Hugh Grant, went deep into the character and projected the gay life, gayhood, and romantic chemistry between men who takes relationship seriously! the movie has some beautiful scene where emotions overflows and touches the heart of the viewers , specially, where maurice was told by Clive that he takes no more interest in men and pushed back Maurice when Maurice try to kiss him. Though the fim end with a hope of happy ending, that Maurice and Alec would be together, but, when Clive , stood in front of the window and imagine, rather, recollect his Cambridge days, Maurice standing and waiving hands at him, made me cry for a bit!

I wish, James Ivory, had intriduced some more scene between clive and maurice, directly from the novel, where maurice used to avoid him for some days and clive could not bear the pain of maurice silence and avoiding nature towards him! The fim is a must see for every gay couple!
PoisonIvy  

Physical Location: Vienna

Posted: 30 Mar 2007, 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first real gay movie I saw was Paris Is Burning, though it was Boys Don't Cry that really swept me off my feet. Completely. I was totally shocked by the other characters' reaction to Brandon / Teena and couldn't believe there were such inhuman people out there.
(Come to think of it, I do remember watching Ma Vie en Rose as a kid, and I think I was also kind of disturbed by the "others")
Nickiy  

Interests: Sleeping. Reading. Sleeping. Writing. Maths C. Sleeping. Provoking the cosmos.
Physical Location: Bris-Vegas, The Land of Aus

Posted: 27 May 2007, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... I don't suppose Rocky Horror or Priscilla count? *giggles* My parents were both big fans and I do believe I watched those both when I was somewhere in the region of seven or eight. I think they have, if anything, grown steadily more conservative with age.

Though as to actual, real, proper film stuff - I only really managed this from around the end of last year because I was (and still am) way too much into reading to even realise that non-grim films actually *existed*, so most I scabbed off my good mate Tan, Vietnamese lad, absolutely charming, whose sister I went out with for a month or so (dunno how his parents'll react when they find out their beloved chau dich ton and their super-intelligent pretty daughter are both filthy homosexuals). Oops, off-topic... Erm... Oh yes, most of these things I borrowed off Tan - the ones I remember most clearly are...

Love In Thoughts, (or Liebe in Gedanke, I think is the German title) which is based on a true story of the Steglitz Student Tragedy and, being in German, I can watch it and tell my grandparents that I'm learning. Even though it is boy-on-boy (I have a surprisingly low amount of les films) and even then only as a sort of glorified subplot, it's still quite good. Though really, I think Guenther and Hans would be such the cutest couple if they didn't hate each other that much.

Then there's The Wedding Banquet, done by Ang Lee, yes that Ang Lee, of Brokeback Mountain fame, though I personally think Banquet is much better, if only for more of the multilingual stuff (though I freely admit I know nothing of Chinese).

And, surprise surprise, lesbians! Lost and Delirious, featuring a young Mischa Barton, though unfortunately she isn't involved in the Sapphic liaison (oh, why, cruel world?). It's quite a moving film indeed, with its various little things of rejection by one's birth mother (unrelated to the homosexuality) and sister and eventually by one's lover when she decides she's not going to deal with this misery any more... And quoting Shakespeare! Hallelujah!

But without Tannie's help I managed to find Cowboys and Angels, that Irish one released by FQ, which was pretty cool too. On SBS, needless to say :-) Oh, I love me my international channel.

So... Seeing as most of these are guy-guy things (lesbian invisibility... w00t...) I must say the first one I watched was L+D, which is touching, and moving, and really makes me want to take up fencing.
ElectricA  

Physical Location: London, United Kingdom

Posted: 4 Jul 2007, 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm fairly young, so don't be surprised at my more modern memories!

I think the first gay film/TV show I saw was Queer As Folk, the British series not the American one, however I saw it several years after it first aired (I was in primary school when the show was first on).

Then after that my friend forced to me what Latter Days, which is clichéd enough to make it funny, but not funny enough to make it enjoyable.

Then after that I went and bought Angels In America which is a fantastic TV series.
slam  

Posted: 17 Jul 2007, 12:56 am    Post subject: film Reply with quote

The first film about the gay I saw is Brokeback Mountain.It wasdirected by a famous Chinese director.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.