Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Latino Fiction

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Osvaldo  

Interests: gay & latino culture, US LGBT History, Gay Culture in Latin America, LGBTQ US Latino Identity, Gay Latino Literature, LGBT Political Movements, Gay Sociology, and Anthropology
Physical Location: Boston, MA.

Posted: 1 May 2003, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Latino Fiction Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I wanted to start a discussion on the amount of (or lack there of) Latino/ Latin American Queer Fiction. I know that my own collection of works are about ten or so books, there has to more books out there that have been published, que no? Please respond if you know of some latino works that would be of interest.

Sinceramente,
Osvaldo
ADAlvarez  

Interests: See links page in homepage
Physical Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: 26 May 2003, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Latino Fiction Reply with quote

Osvaldo wrote:
]Please respond if you know of some latino works that would be of interest.

Well, there's mine...
Osvaldo  

Interests: gay & latino culture, US LGBT History, Gay Culture in Latin America, LGBTQ US Latino Identity, Gay Latino Literature, LGBT Political Movements, Gay Sociology, and Anthropology

Posted: 30 May 2003, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Latino Fiction Reply with quote

Yes Aldo,
I am aware of your book and Interesting Monster is in my collection. I also printed out the Queer Puerto Rican collection from Blithe, too. I particularly liked Larry La Fontaine's work. He is also a good friend of mine. It is funny that we have not yet met and we both are Gay Puerto Rican writers living in the same city!

Sinceramente,
Osvaldo

ADAlvarez wrote:
Osvaldo wrote:
]Please respond if you know of some latino works that would be of interest.

Well, there's mine...

ADAlvarez  

Posted: 30 May 2003, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Latino Fiction Reply with quote

Osvaldo wrote:
It is funny that we have not yet met and we both are Gay Puerto Rican writers living in the same city!

We'll have to change that (the not meeting part, not the living in the same city part).

I run a social salon for queer writers here in Chicago; I'll send you an invite to the next one.

Cheers,
Aldo
Osvaldo  

Posted: 25 Jun 2003, 9:37 am    Post subject: Queer of Color Poetry on TV TODAY! Reply with quote

On Wednesday, June 25th at 7PM (not sure if this is Eastern or Central time), in celebration of Gay Pride week, some of the finest wordsmiths from the community unite to share their voices at the Bowery Poetry Club. FLOTILLA DEBARGE, “Flo Def,” hosts as Def Poetry Jam on Broadway’s STACEYANN CHIN joins Russell Simmons presents Def Poetry on HBO’s EMANUEL XAVIER and REGIE CABICO along with performance poets, CHERYL BOYCE-TAYLOR, TRAVIS MONTEZ, KAREN JAIME, LUIS CARTAGENA, CLAUDIA ALICK, hip hop artist, CAZWELL, and others for a very special evening of poetry and spoken word. DJ DOMINIC BRANDO provides beats for the evening.
ADAlvarez  

Posted: 25 Jun 2003, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Queer of Color Poetry on TV TODAY! Reply with quote

Is slam poetry literature or performance? A lot of that stuff doesn't work on the page...
Osvaldo  

Posted: 29 Jul 2003, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Illinois: Waukegan Poet Reply with quote

hello everyone and Aldo,

I found this webpage www.elliottorres.com
it belongs to a Puerto Rican poet by the same name. He grew up in Waukegan, Illinois which is a small town close to the border with Wisconsin. He now resides in NYC, but does travel to Illinois to visit family. I was amazed to find the page much less a published gay Puerto Rican writer/poet from a small town in Illinois. His book of poetry is called: "Five Years of Solitude." I have purchased it on Amazon and have read it.
Some of the work seems simple and predictable in verse, but the collection of poems overall are striking, revealing, powerful, insightful and at times dark. It is a collection of work worth checking out. Remember the name, I am sure we will here more from this person.
Osvaldo  

Posted: 29 Jul 2003, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Queer of Color Poetry on TV TODAY! Reply with quote

ADAlvarez wrote:
Is slam poetry literature or performance? A lot of that stuff doesn't work on the page...

I agree with you Aldo, a lot of the works that come from Slams are more merited for its theatrical merit than for the depth of the words themselves.

I participated in the Second Annual National People of Color Poetry Slam here in Chicago (which is now called something else) a few years back and I was upset to see that many of the works were given higher scores seemply because the works were funny in nature and produced laughter in the audience or because the poet yelled their works at the top of their lungs. I simply didn't get it.

Also, for a "people of color" poetry event, all the judges were African-American and the few non-black poets that were there...tended to score lower than their African American counter parts.

Lastly just for FYI, the person who won the event was Stacy Ann Chin.
Macdonald  

Interests: Exotic plants, books, fish, birds, dancing, books, film, and books.
Physical Location: Vancouver

Posted: 30 Jul 2003, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Latino Fiction Reply with quote

Osvaldo wrote:
Hello everyone, I wanted to start a discussion on the amount of (or lack there of) Latino/ Latin American Queer Fiction. I know that my own collection of works are about ten or so books, there has to more books out there that have been published, que no? Please respond if you know of some latino works that would be of interest.

Sinceramente,
Osvaldo

Hiya.
A friend and I have been doing some research into books by queer international authors that have either been supressed or not translated. In some circumstances the books have been translated, but are currently out of print.
Some authors to consider are Barba Jacob (Columbia), Keifer Balagas (Cuba), Virgilio Pinera (Cuba), Augusto d'Halmar (Chile), Soto de Rojas (Peru), Xavier Porferio (Mexico), Juan de la Casal (Columbia), Ciao Abreu (Brazil), Darcy Penteado (Brazil), Julian della Casal (Brazil), Manuel Gomez Quintana Cata (Mexico), and Tomas Alea (Cuba).
There is some thought that Pessoa might have been homosexual, although there is little research and no satisfying biographical information to date. Also, Jorge Luis Borges has not been subject to a comprehensive study in this matter - he lived with his mother into her nineties and had no obvious relationships that would indicate otherwise.

Virgilio Pinera is my personal favorite; his book Rene's Flesh is astonishing, with definite flavours of Latino magic realism. This, with his story collection, Cold Tales, were published by the Eridanos Library imprint, which has since disappeared. Too bad, as both books count amongst Latin America's most important contributions to the literature of surrealism. Pinera was apparently imprisoned and later executed by Castro's government for "subversion" but it is largely thought that he was just rounded up as an intellectual and a homosexual in one of many, many purges in Cuba.

My two centavos.
Mark in Vancouver.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.