Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Gay/Lesbian Shows & Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic   Post new topic
ShadowGal  

Interests: I love reading, writing, anime, video games, and manga. Some of my favorite authors include David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, and Tanya Huff. Some of my stories and almost all my poems can be found at my FictionPress account, the address of which can be f
Physical Location: Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Posted: 8 Jan 2004, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen all of the movie, but what I did see was rather sad, yet good. It's a foreign film, Mexican, titled "Our Lady of the Assassins." I saw it on satelite the other day, but I'm hoping to find it in a video store soon.

Another movie, foreign again, but in English, is "Billy Elliott". It's easy to find, and really sweet, especially if you're at all interested in ballet.

If I think of any other movies, I'll be sure to post again.
KCS1  

Interests: Lesbian bartender in aa few women's club for over a decade- Drama- please- I've seen my share

Posted: 9 Jan 2004, 1:29 pm    Post subject: did not make the list Reply with quote

Claire of the Moon celebrated their 10 year anniversary last year. My friend Deb Clemmer wrote and performed 2 songs on the soundtrack ( which is excellent) and sometimes this movie was to be found in regular video stores. Also "out" there for a while Liana. Both address a straight woman drawn into the lesbian life, and the issues that arise entering this lifestyle. Other gay films are available through Wolfe Films.
valore  

Posted: 12 Feb 2004, 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohatto/Forbidden (1999) -- Is a Japanese movie set in the late samurai era. Around 1830 or something. Not sure. There are swordfighting and yukatas (a kind of kimono) in plenty if u are into that ^_^

The movie describes the life of the samurai in the Shinsengumi, a group of samurai who work for the gowernment. The main caracter who is an 17-18 year old boy named Shuwabara Kano, is brilliantly played by the then 17 old (and very cute ^x^) Ryuhei Matsuda. He is the source of desire to many of the other samurai, and there occure lots of situasions.

After seeing the movie twice I'm still a bit confused... The story is set up like an enigma of a sort and is very much a story where u must seek answers yourself, and take some of the statments with a fair amount of intelect.

I wonder if I ever will decide if Kano vas a victim or the luring enchanterer... This one will have u perplexed for weeks O_O
dana  

Interests: photography, movies, lecture
Physical Location: Bucharest

Posted: 15 Mar 2004, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's difficult for me to say what were the bests gay movies that i ever watched...
one of the bests...hm, "L'homme que j'aime" (france) and "the priest" (with robert carlyle)
Solle  

Interests: Imagination, the color purple, art, felines
Physical Location: Netherlands

Posted: 26 Apr 2004, 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all-time favourite movie, as well as the best GLBT movie I've ever seen, is Dog Day Afternoon (1975). Al Pacino brilliantly plays Sonny, a young bisexual bank robber who needs to pay for his lover's (Chris Sarandon!) sex change. Everything about this movie is perfect: camera angles, script, acting, pacing, there's not a single flaw. Plus, it's completely based on a true story. Most powerful moment is, without a doubt, the improv phone conversation between Pacino and Sarandon... a bittersweet love story, amazingly open-minded and realistic.

Other great GLBT movies:

Fight Club
The Emperor's New Groove
Being John Malkovich
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ed Wood
Gohatto
RHPS
kayla m  

Interests: writing, tennis, being spontaneous, movies
Physical Location: California

Posted: 28 Apr 2004, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gay/Lesbian Shows & Movies Reply with quote

Showtime is great channel that deals with GLBT issues in a pretty frank manner. On May 3rd, Showtime is airing "The Opposite Sex: Rene's Story" which is about a woman who grows up as a man and has been taking hormones for the most of his life and continues now lives as a male. Rene is currently married to a heterosexual woman and their lives have been "normal" until they were outted, I believe by someone at their church. It seems to be a very touching story that I, myself will watch. Maybe you'll enjoy it too. It's not a movie or a sitcom but it definitely deals with GLBT issues. You've mentioned Queer as Folk which is a great show.
the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. and if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous." -carrie from sex and the city
Tim1965  

Interests: GLBT film, photography, history, college rock
Physical Location: Washington, D.C.

Posted: 30 Apr 2004, 11:16 am    Post subject: Film fests Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for good GLBT movies, you can't go wrong by checking out the films screened by various GLBT film festivals. PlanetOut.com has a good list of the various American and international film festivals at http://www.planetout.com/popcornq/fests/. The film festival season generally begins in June -- so grab that popcorn! get those tickets! Raisinets, anyone?

Some of the bigger and betters ones are:

1) OutFest (http://www.outfest.org) -- the largest in the nation, based in Los Angeles
2) Frameline (http://www.frameline.org/festival/) -- the San Fracisco GLBT film festival (and the nation's oldest GLBT film festival)
3) Reel Affirmations (http://www.reelaffirmations.org) -- the third-largest GLBT film festival and the only all-volunteer fest in the top 10 biggest festivals; based in Washington, D.C.
4) image + nation (http://www.image-nation.org) -- Montreal's GLBT film festival
5) Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival (http://www.mglff.com) -- a huge festival in Miami, with a strong emphasis on Latino/a features
6) Reeling (http://www.chicagofilmmakers.org) -- the Chicago GLBT film festival
7) The New Festival (http://www.newfestival.org) -- New York City GLBT film festival
8) Philadelphia International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (http://www.phillyfests.com/piglff/) -- another of the more larger film festivals, and a trend-setter
9) Seattle Lesbian & Gay Film Festival (http://www.seattlequeerfilm.com) -- another monster-fest up in the PacNW, and one that features a lot of Asian films
10) OutTakes (http://www.outtakesdallas.org) -- Dallas's GLBT film festival, and one of the largest in the South.

These are just some of the many, many film festivals. There are MANY more. Even small towns or towns not known as big centers of gay like -- towns like Santa Barbara, Calif.; Rochester, NY; Memphis, Tenn.; and Rehoboth Beach, Del. -- have GLBT film festivals now.

It's always useful to see what's playing. Remember, though: A good film is a good film, and you will notice a lot of repetition among the fests. But make sure to look for those other films -- shorts, documentaries, the films that show up on nights other then opening or closing or Friday or Saturday. Those are the films where you'll find much more diversity. Many festivals will program "Latter Days," for instance. It's a feature film, it's good, and it's popular with audiences (e.g., lots of skin). But a Southern film festival will have a different emphasis than a PacNorthwest or New England film festival. So check around.
brit  

Interests: football, shopping, and music
Physical Location: Illinois

Posted: 27 May 2004, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gay/Lesbian Shows & Movies Reply with quote

Sincere wrote:
I am a big fan of gay/lesbian movies, shows and sitcoms. I was wondering if anyone knew of any great movies, shows or sitcoms that are currently out or coming out. I haven't seen much besides Queer As Folk, But I'm A Cheerleader... and The Truth About Jane. What I like to see is how characters, producers and directors portray gay & lesbian characters.

Keep me posted
I'm not really sure of some movies because I haven't seen very many out there but I just watched one today and it's called, " Kissing Jessica" It's about a straight woman who is scared to say she's bisexual and then ends up in a loving relationship with a lesbian. Then there is also the sitcom, " Will and Grace" I also like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" Well , I hope I helped you out sweetheart.
xtro181  

Interests: GLBTQ Cinema, History, Film, Seperation of Church and State, but not ACLU fanatical: MUSIKA (The Arts). Classical guitar (teach it), Non-hateful religions: looking for one! Part Native American, I respect the Earth Mother.
Physical Location: New Jersey

Posted: 29 May 2004, 1:13 am    Post subject: GLBTQ Films Reply with quote

I am not sure if the moderators/owners of this group would be receptive to this post:

I am the owner of a Group called GLBTQ-Cinema. http://www.studio-46.com/GLBTQ-Cinema/index.htm

We offer hundreds of films in our Data Base, run a very receptive forum very much like this one which harbors NO PREJUDICE at all!

Many of the subjects matters on the sub-board "Films" are ringing bells for me because our members are talking about them, or there is some info in our Data Base about films.

All are free to join our group (Membership is free... or pop on by as a "Guest" and sample our screencaps, celeb galleries, etc.). WE ARE A NON-PY site, so this is NOT a bogus spam ad for a membership beg to make money.

I believe that the more that people talk about GLBTQ cinema, the better! And, frankly, that includes my many straight and bisexual friends, who often feel left out of such conversations.

I understand if the owners/moderators delete this message as an advert. However, I am more than willing to help get a network going of those sites that have a serious interest in documenting GLBTQ cinema and offering free expression of opinions rgearding our film heritage (VAST and EXTENSIVE).

Best wishes, and Happy Viewing!

Xtro181 / Bob Pomicter
nae  

Interests: Love art, music, movies, theatre. Passionate discussions on life.
Physical Location: californina

Posted: 16 Jun 2004, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ Films Reply with quote

You might try "Big Eden", that was a film of quality. "Kissing Jessica Stien" was okay, a bit disappointing to me. You might try looking for 'Bound. Great flick.I would love to see a lesbian film created that has nothing to do with 'coming out' personaly. It seems that alot of films deal with this issue. Although this is a major factor in who we are as a community, there are other factors that make us who we are as people.

xtro181 wrote:
I am not sure if the moderators/owners of this group would be receptive to this post:

I am the owner of a Group called GLBTQ-Cinema. http://www.studio-46.com/GLBTQ-Cinema/index.htm

We offer hundreds of films in our Data Base, run a very receptive forum very much like this one which harbors NO PREJUDICE at all!

Many of the subjects matters on the sub-board "Films" are ringing bells for me because our members are talking about them, or there is some info in our Data Base about films.

All are free to join our group (Membership is free... or pop on by as a "Guest" and sample our screencaps, celeb galleries, etc.). WE ARE A NON-PY site, so this is NOT a bogus spam ad for a membership beg to make money.

I believe that the more that people talk about GLBTQ cinema, the better! And, frankly, that includes my many straight and bisexual friends, who often feel left out of such conversations.

I understand if the owners/moderators delete this message as an advert. However, I am more than willing to help get a network going of those sites that have a serious interest in documenting GLBTQ cinema and offering free expression of opinions rgearding our film heritage (VAST and EXTENSIVE).

Best wishes, and Happy Viewing!

Xtro181 / Bob Pomicter

bastubis  

Interests: Lesbians, women and feminism in cinema, cult cinema, lesbian history
Physical Location: London, UK

Posted: 26 Jan 2005, 4:26 am    Post subject: Lesbian Film Websites Reply with quote

Hi -- I'm a fan of lesbian film, but also of "camp" readings of Hollywood films. I've got a website at http://www.women-cult-media.org.uk/ which has a list of "cult" films which had lesbians or female-to-male crossdressing in them. It also has an onlilne book about lesbian spectatorship of popular film.

On the links page, you'll find a rundown of other lesbian film sites which provide listings of lesbian films going back to the 1920s. http://www.women-cult-media.org.uk/links.htm

And there's information and an article about cult TV shows like Buffy, Dark Angel, and Birds of Prey.

Paula
Tosca  

Interests: The 4 arts
Physical Location: S FLorida

Posted: 24 Apr 2005, 11:52 am    Post subject: title of tv/theatre production ? Reply with quote

Help!

Does anyone remember the title of the made for TV movie of a group of Gay friends at the country home of one of them. It is a character driven ensemble work. The only actor whose name comes to mind is Jason Alexander. The usual themes of AIDS, infidelity,resignation/ hope are skillfully interwoven and the grand finale is the entire cast in self made costumes for Swan Lake's corps de ballet finale - a black humour reference to the "dying swans".

I want to purchase a copy but can't remember it's title.

Mia
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 24 Apr 2005, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: title of tv/theatre production ? Reply with quote

Tosca wrote:
Help!

Does anyone remember the title of the made for TV movie of a group of Gay friends at the country home of one of them. It is a character driven ensemble work. The only actor whose name comes to mind is Jason Alexander.
Mia

I think you may be looking for Love! Valour! Compassion!.

There's a quick description of the film on http://www.imdb.com.

Wik
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.